"How to speak to someone who's hesitant about vaccines"

Advice from the UK Government for the Vaccine Hesitant

[With observations from the Editor in Red]



So far, the UK's COVID-19 vaccination programme has been remarkably successful.

[MHRA Data reveals over 1 million adverse reactions and more than 1550 deaths directly attributable to the vaccines - thats a greatl measure of succcess]

More than half the UK population had received at least one dose of the vaccine by late April 2021, and the rollout is now extending to younger age groups. [who are not at risk at all].


By late July, all UK adults should have been offered their first jab.


For many people, getting their vaccine is cause for celebration, marking the end of months of anxiety around contracting COVID-19. [So Sad, especially as it can't stop you getting it or passing it on]

Although no vaccine offers 100% protection against the virus - and you need both doses for maximum effectiveness - they do significantly lower rates of death, hospitalisation and serious illness. [Where's the evidence for this ridiculous statement?]


Getting the vaccine may feel like an important step back towards normal life for all of us [FOMO]. i.e. You can go on overseas holidays again [except that you cant]. However, a significant minority of the population is less than thrilled about the idea of getting the jab. [Because it is an 'experimental' untried, untested mRNA gene therapy with no long term safety data]


Where does vaccine hesitancy come from? [usually from people who can critically analyse information and possess the ability to think for themselves]


People within this bracket may be worried about side effects, [See MHRA Adverse Reaction for 1 million good reasons to be worried] or concerned about getting a vaccine that didn't exist a matter of months ago, [No long term safety testing in other words - no current evidence of side effects - ie. it took five years to link Thalidomide with birth abnormalities and defects].


They may have encountered misinformation on social media. Or they may lack trust in the healthcare system at large, questioning whether the vaccine will protect them or whether it's needed at all. [as there is no pandemic, there is no need for a vaccine - all cause mortality figures below 5 year average]


"Vaccine hesitancy is the delay in acceptance or the refusal to accept vaccines despite the availability of vaccines [not so, only the emergency unsafe vaccines are being refused]," explains Professor Sam Shah, Chief Medical Strategy Officer at Numan, a digital healthcare provider for men. "It's complex and varies between different groups, conditions and even vaccines. People might be worried about safety, toxicity or quality; they may have had a previous poor experience or they may lack trust in the government or healthcare professionals. They may also have a perception about being at low risk of illness, or lack information. There could be religious beliefs that may contribute to decisions, or even a fear of needles."


Of Brits surveyed in late April, 93% said they'd either had the COVID-19 vaccine or would be likely to have the jab if offered - which still leaves 7% who wouldn't. [I cant believe these figures -more Government bullshit]

Younger people were more likely to be vaccine-hesitant (17% of 16- to 29-year-olds surveyed fell into this category), along with people belonging to non-white ethnic groups.


Back in December 2020, just 49% of Black people reported they were likely to have the vaccine, compared to 85% of white people. As of mid-March, a person aged over 70 with black African heritage was 7.4 times more likely not to have had the vaccine than a white person over 70. This is especially troubling when you consider Black people are at heightened risk of death from COVID-19.


Why is this subject so emotive?

In short, the reasons why someone might be vaccine-hesitant are often personal and highly sensitive. In the case of marginalised groups and those living in deprived areas, the hesitancy may be grounded in a long history of feeling failed by the healthcare system.


"For example, some populations have heard doctors in some parts of the world suggest that vaccines should be tested in certain populations or groups. This can contribute to race-specific vaccine hesitancy," says Prof Shah.


On the other hand, the more people who refuse the vaccine, the less able we are to get the pandemic under control. By leaving yourself unprotected, you are also increasing the odds of infection for those around you, including immunocompromised people who can't get the jab themselves.


This means vaccination can be an emotive subject - and proposals like vaccine passports to get into pubs, or mandatory vaccinations for care home workers, tend to stir up strong feelings on both sides.


2 views0 comments